Lecture on HIV/AIDS changed Springfield High grad's world
After completing her education, she joined Saving Orphans Through Healthcare and Outreach and worked both in Swaziland and South Africa.
Seven years ago, she co-founded along with Kait Mariutto Give Hope, Fight Poverty, a charitable organization that helps the children she met in Swaziland. It had humble beginnings, fueled at its origin largely by people in Springfield.
“Friends and family from Springfield would send $10 or $20 to put kids through school,” Annie says. “My high school friends and my mom and dad were starting to donate. Since then it’s been snowballing.”
The organization has donated computer labs and established a children’s library in Swaziland. Annie was in Springfield last week, as a guest lecturer of course, to speak to students at Robert Morris University and to hold a fundraiser a couple of days ago for GHFP. Proceeds will be used to establish the first primary school for orphans in Malindza, Swaziland. The education will be free. In January, the school is expected to see its first class, 65 children.
“Really,” she says, “the organization is grass roots. It blows my mind, the people who have contributed who have never even met these kids but are just doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It’s amazing.”
Annie has given her talent, her formidable intelligence and probably even more formidable heart to the orphans.
She says that they, in turn, have given her a lesson about what’s important in life and an inner peace that a lucrative career in America could not have given her.
I told her it’s a good thing she didn’t cut class that day Dr. Rochon spoke about her work with HIV/AIDS in Africa.
I’m not going to make a habit of this, but in this case I’m making an exception because I think this is particularly unique. I don’t know Annie, but I like what she’s doing. If you are so inclined, send a donation to Give Hope, Fight Poverty, 2436 N. Alabama St., Indianapolis, IN 46205 or donate online through Paypal at www.ifightpoverty.org/donate.html.
Know of something quirky? Emotional? Funny? Inspiring? Dave Bakke is your man and his deadline is always near. Pitch your idea to him at dave.bakke@sj-r.com or at (217)788-1541. His column appears Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. To read more, visit www.sj-r.com/bakke.
Comments
Post a Comment